Friday, October 2, 2009

Photo Story: Typical Day With My Preschooler

After waking up late yesterday, scrambling to get my two oldest girls out the door (a harder task than you could ever possibly imagine) to pick up my nephew and pull up in a screeching halt pointing screaming like a drill Sargent, "Get that backpack, get those shoes, put on that coat soldier; Go, go, go!"
But to no use, they are too slow and screech sounds the bell, they are tardy AGAIN!  I know it's really my fault, but sheesh, can't they help out a little?  Is it too much to ask that they put their OWN shoes on.
Actually my middle child has a problem with shoes.  She always looses one.   I don't know what she does with the other one.  If anyone has any ideas let me know.  So, the other day I was tired of waiting for her and I told her to get her own shoes and get out to the van.  After several agitated minutes she finally, and ever so slowly emerged from the depths of house carrying a pair of sandals.  Whatever, I thought, its cold out here but at least she'll have shoes on when she walks into the school.  We went through the above scenario but as she was leaving the van and giving me a kiss goodbye (she's in kindergarten, she still likes me) I happened to look down at her shoes.  Now one thing you have to understand is that she and her little sister wear the same size shoes, and I have a little OCD problem with wanting my children to coordinate (we all have our problems) so they own the same pair of shoes.  As I looked at those poor feet of IS's I saw that she was wearing two left shoes.  'Oh, Well' I thought, 'at least they match' and I sent her to school. 
Hey, I never claimed to be mother of the year, in fact you'll never even hear me claim to be a good mother.
Some of you may remember this picture, this is one of the sandals she was wearing.


Anyway, sorry it's early and I got off on a tangent.  If you are still with me I'll get back to my original story.
So after dropping everyone off at school I headed back home with thoughts of today's post running through my head.
My three year old thought differently.  So I spent most of the morning playing with her and doing laundry.
First she wanted to make her hair pretty, so she got out her streak and style hair paint and she painted her hair.  Then because she was "pretty" she wanted a tea party.  I was switching batches when she decided this so I told her I wouldn't get the tea set down until the family room was cleaned up.  She dutifully marched back into the FR and began cleaning.  After a few minutes she came in and told me that she had cleaned everything.  I glanced around the corner and was shocked to find that everything was off the floor.  So I relented and got the tea set down. 
We proceeded to make tea (kool aid) and eat dainty biscuit (saltine crackers and squeeze cheese).


Now isn't that just the cutest tea set you have ever seen? 


Take a good look at it and commit it to memory, because that is the only way you will ever see it again.

As I was trying to clean up, EM decided to help herself to more tea and *crash* the cute little bunny teapot was decapitated.



After cleaning up the shards of ceramic I headed downstairs to change laundry and I popped into the family room to check to see if I had any comments on my post and I saw what my three year old considers "cleaning up."

Oh well, the tea party was fun while it lasted.

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Linds

22 comments:

kayerj said...

oh I'm so sorry about the tea pot, It was sooo cute. But I'm sure the day with Em was one you'll always remember. Things can always be replaced.

nightfall00 said...

LOL, great story! Your day sounds so familiar to me. My little one hasn't killed the teapot yet but it's not for lack of effort.

Michelle said...

LOL! That picture of her wearing two different shoes is precious. :)

Emily said...

yep, typical day w/ a preschooler! And that's funny about the shoes. My kids have forgotten their shoes twice...you'd think after the first time I would have learned!

Anonymous said...

Poor cute little tea pot! At least you got a pic before it lost its head! :)

I have a kid that tries to get out of the house with slippers on.

Sounds like you got some good mommy bonding time despite it all! :)

moosh said...

LOL life with children is always entertaining.

Mimi said...

I enjoyed this! Partic. the odd shoes pic!
It's been a while since my kids were that age, but some things never change- it's still a struggle to get them out in the mornings!Not having to rush out is one of the best things about the holidays.

Lindsay said...

That's awesome...and the cleaning up part looks awefully familiar! Love the shoe story, too...can u imagine the fun outfits teachers get to see every day??

latree said...

just remember the good parts, and delete the sad ones..

I guess I'm not the only one yelling to kids every morning: shoes.. bags... don't forget your milk! drink bottle.. hurry hurry!!!

|O|

CC said...

Ah! I knew there was a catch to the cleaning!!

I think your children coordinating OCD-ness is hilarious. I've found it almost impossible to coordinate my son and daughter. Professional pics are a nightmare b/c they don't even own the same color clothes!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh a tea party! I'd love to have one! I'm pretty sure my son would trash it in a similar way, though...he'd drive trucks right through the cookies. :-)

Hootin Anni said...

Awwwwwwwww, what a bummer that the tea pot broke...but hey....you got your sweet 3 year old there with you, that's what counts.

Chandice said...

I'm from SITS at glutenfreefrenzy.com what a cute story! Sorry about the little bunny :(

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Aw, poor teapot! I love her hair--so very fun and colorful. =)

I have a 5 year old sister, and it is always a struggle to keep her shoes found. It's been a little better lately, but sometimes we've run out the door only to realize she had nothing on her feet! And we've taken her to church without shoes a couple of times...but I didn't admit that.

Just wanted to stop by and welcome you to SITS; I saw your comment, so welcome! =D

onthistimearound.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Haha!! I remember I use to clean my room that way! Ok those picture are too cute, expecially the miss-matched shoes!

I can't wait to have a little one to pick up after... Wait... Did I really just say that?

Kitty said...

Awwww poor little teapot!! I love how she cleaned the room. Classic. I used to clean my room by putting all my clothes on my desk chair instead of in the dresser where they belonged.

I just visited your cakes website. Wonderful cakes. It amazes me that people can do that with food!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Poor bunny!
My children frequently try wearing mismatched shoes.......even the older ones! :)
Isn't that how you clean?! :)

PaperbackWriter said...

Don't ever feel bad about two left shoes, at least she has on shoes!

Your 3yo and my 6yo must have got to the same cleaning classes, Though her messes usually end up in her closet or shoved deep under her bed. But at least you got to have fun with a tea party between loads of laudry!

Happy Sunday SitSta!

Robin said...

Oh my goodness, that cleaning up photo is the funniest thing ever. What a day to remember.

tiarastantrums said...

love the little tea party - sorry about your cute tea pot - but you have to love that she wanted to have a tea party more than cleaning!

prettyfirefly said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I'd say this is a very good story. A day in the life of a mom kind of story. I'm sorry about the teapot though. I have an 18 months old daughter too and breaking things is kind of her goal right now so I can definitely relate to this. --- www.prettyfirefly.com

Jendi said...

It was cute, but I bet you can find a cuter set. :)
My problem with my girls is socks. I have a terrible time finding matching socks for them. I always seem to have one pink, one purple, one with hearts, one, one, one! We find odd socks in couch cushions, under their bed, under their hanging clothes, behind the dollhouse. Why don't they take their socks off at the same time?!