Monday, October 26, 2009

Sunday Spookies: What's Lurking In Your Basement?

YES I KNOW I'M A DAY LATE!  BUT LATE'S BETTER THAN NEVER RIGHT!?

Since it is the spookiest month of the year I have decided to go with Sunday Funnies alter ego and try my hand at writing something spooky. If you would like to play along, which I would love for you to do, write something spooky that has happened to you, an urban legend or make it up as you go! Let me know in your comment if you are participating and I will be sure to stop by!


In a dark and dangerous corner of Heidi's house a terrible secret lies hidden. For those that are brave enough to learn the truth you must descend down the treacherous stairs that are littered with toys, wrappers and horrible DUST BUNNIES that lie in wait along the path, you will come to a room where vapors of green spiraling smoke spew into the congested hallway. As you step closer to discover what the cause of the mysterious coiling smoke could possibly be you find yourself facing the great Mount Saint Laundry. It is piled so high that the door to the dryer has completely disappeared beneath it's great mass. And the smell, oh the smell, not only do you smell month old dirty socks and underwear from a three year old just learning to go potty, but the pee trap is dry, sending a horrible stench worse than a dead dog through the entire house! Hurry turn around and run before it reaches out its filthy claws and tries to trap you in its clutches! Quick GET OUT BEFORE IT'S TO LATE!!!!

Ok, so at my house hell week officially began last Monday.  I am in charge of the Halloween Carnival at my kids' elementary school.  Now normally this wouldn't be too bad, but I was so busy at the beginning of October that EVERYTHING has been squished into a two week period instead of two months.  With everything that has been going on, my basement has taken a beating.  No one can see it when they come into my house unless they CHOOSE to go down there.  So not much has been cleaned over the course of the last two weeks.  My laundry, as described above has also been a bit neglected.  I haven't been blogging much the last two weeks and that just happens to be the time that I do my laundry.
I knew that things were getting really bad when two days ago I was happily taking a steaming hot shower and relaxing for the few moments that I could without someone calling me, me calling someone, or my kids screaming for some lunch.  Aah!  Absolute bliss!  Until I reached out to grab my towel only to discover that I had forgotten to get one.  I gingerly stepped out and walked to my linen closet only to again discover, NO TOWELS!  I had to dry with the one remaining washcloth.  And then I tried to wrap my hair in it.  Suffice it to say, it didn't work well. 
Ho hum, I thought to myself, I guess unless I want to dry off with a paper towel tomorrow I was going to have to take a minute and attack Mount Saint Laundry today.

So, what's the dirty little secret at your house?  I would love to know!  Someone please tell me so that I don't feel like quite as much as a failure this week!

5 comments:

Janae S said...

Ha! I love it!

The last time we went to Price we came home to a terrible, and I mean terrible, smell. It came from the toy room but I could not find whatever it was! So, we let Jack in and he went right to a spot on the floor and Gwen told me she had spilled chocolate milk there. Few things compare to the stench of rotten chocolate milk! I'm gagging just thinking about it!

Mimi said...

Heidi, I regularly have no towels in the closet, but it's not Mt. Saint Laundry that captures them..it's teenage kids! Daughter can have up to 13 in her room at any one time, tho I've persuaded her to hang them over her bannister rather than on the floor, so that's progress!
Happy Hallowe'en.

kayerj said...

good luck with that mountain!

Gracie said...

Oh, I've done that, too. It's the hair drying that's the hardest. I can blot myself dry with items from the ironing basket, which . . . ah, there's my dirty secret: My ironing basket. I love to iron - but only when I'm in the mood. Lately, that's been just in the mornings when I have to iron something to wear to work.
Or is this TMI?

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Mount Saint Laundry...haha! And a washcloth? You poor thing. I've been there. ugh!

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like a tornado hit in our house (and I'm NOT in charge of a mammoth carnival)! I've been trying to switch over the kids closets since it's getting cold here now. ugh! Digging through boxes in my garage trying to find coats, hats, etc...

Good luck with the carnival! What an undertaking! Are you attempting to make a cool Halloween cake this week too? You ought to dress up like Wonder Woman for Halloween. :)